Sunday, December 04, 2005

Contest Here! $$$ Attention! $$$ Win Money!

Alright! I propose a contest. I want a piece of advice, a piece of constructive criticism, and I am willing to pay to get it. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had someone who was really looking out for us? Someone to help us make those most difficult decisions, those most difficult movements in life that get us to the place where it is best for us to be?

I am offering a minimum of $10 dollars to whoever can give me the best piece of advice.
Each entry will be judged by its practicality (can I understand how to put the advice into action? Is it more a platitude than a piece of advice?), specificity (is it advice for me and not advice that could be for anyone? why this advice? and why me?), urgency (how important is it? And how urgent it is for the benefit of my being, not being about something trivial?), originality (does this piece of advice bring to my attention something that I have not thought of? Something which I would be unlikely to have implemented in my life if not for the help of your words?); and finally, each entry will be judged on style (this is primarily the sensitivity and persuasiveness with which the advice is presented, but does not exclude humor or poetic qualities).

When I said a minimum of $10, I was saying that even I am unimpressed by every entry, I will still award a $10 prize to the “best” entry, but if I am truly persuaded by a valuable piece of advice, I will increase the prize money to $20 and offer a $10 second place prize if there is a second piece of advice that is of great value to me as well.

So what do you think? Please enter! Tell your friends! Or rather, tell friends of mine who don’t read my blog! You may enter as many as three separate entries which can be posted here or emailed to me if you feel hesitant about posting them here. Thank you in advance for all of you who are so kind as to participate in this contest, and I hope that you find the treasure of your heart at the end of a rainbow.

Love,

The Beggar

10 Comments:

Blogger Muse Me said...

i am sad that no one has any advice that will enlighten your soul but i think u're looking more for a book rather than a simple piece of advice.

live life with no regrets johnny.

PS: im sure its copyrighted and im quite aware of its unorignality, mucho cheese, lack of specificity and general unimpressiveness but maybe it will speed up others' thought processes as i will win sorely by being the only advice donor.

sue from granville

12:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:44 a.m.  
Blogger The Begger said...

No! Please enter my contest! I'm not supposing that I would have to pay, but I want to. Everyone enter!

Thanks for entering muse me. See you round?

7:23 p.m.  
Blogger Jillian said...

,nahtanoj

advice of jill (it comes with sadness because it thinks of your departure from vancouverland. but alas)...

go to the shell or the 711 and buy a disposable camera. take a walk up commercial and find a store that has a neat thinish notebook of your liking and buy it, and also a special pen (not too expensive). you should take pictures of random or significant things, places, or people from vancouver. maybe just places and things or moments to pause? then in your book, write all the things you've learned while being here, and maybe put things that you wrote and bits of things you created, recipies, words, really anything. and then develope your pictures and put them in too (maybe get doubles and you can put some on your wall at your to-be new home... *tear*)

the key is to have a treasure book of your short but filled-with-memories time here.

and also you could go to a nice coffee place nearby to spend some time with it and the reflective parts of your mind.

you are sitting at the kitchen table.

jillian.

(writing your name backwards was my attempt at original style. i was going to write the whole thing backwards until i decided that i didn't want to do that anymore)

10:37 p.m.  
Blogger The Begger said...

Very interesting Chuck, thanks. I'll certainly look at it. If you win I'll be sure to get your mailing address.

1:31 p.m.  
Blogger Michelle said...

this is the best advice I have. It may not be original, as I stole it, and it may seem lame or cheesy if one looks at it with a sceptic's heart, but it has been the most valuable advice I have ever stumbled across. Hard to impliment, difficult to stick to, but there is great truth and reward if you make it.

See Psalm 27:13-14
"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD."

I mostly have realised that I suck at waiting... but trying is good.

1:54 p.m.  
Blogger Michelle said...

shalom.
peace.
that's what I get from this...

not surfacy peace, but real deep down peace. There may never be peace on earth, but here in me I have a little piece of peace while I am on the earth.

1:56 p.m.  
Blogger Jonas said...

I like contests, but I am not great at giving advice. But I think I have a pretty good chance of winning, because I am lucky when it comes to winning cash prizes.

My advice for you is, like so much of the best advice, stolen from someone else. In this case, it is a little bit ironic, because my advice is... well, I'll just tell you, and then you'll know.

"It only ever comes back to you making a rational decision based on what you want to do. (BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT) If that's your response then my reply is simply; who else but you can make that decision?"

That's my advice.
~Jonas

9:32 p.m.  
Blogger Jacob said...

I've tried for days to think up something really smart. (Not like continuously for days, but it's been on my mind.) Finally I decided to just think something up quickly and submit it. So this is what I thought up:

If you want to do something but you're afraid to do it, do it.

If you want to do something something and you feel like you're entitled to it, don't do it.

Try to really care for other people more than for yourself. And if you can't do it for real, fake it.

12:24 p.m.  
Blogger Jonas said...

david hengen via jonas best piece of advice is,

you can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

i know thats not right, but i think it applies to lots of things. i'll be at winter camp.

6:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home