Saturday, October 01, 2005

September 30

It is Friday. I have no work tomorrow and I am eating by myself in Sam Wok. I am eating “Diced Chicken in Szechwan Sauce,” chicken combined with mushrooms, celery, broccoli, onion, water chestnuts and cashews. The décor consists of an black pink and silver painting of slashes that was painted in the very womb that gave birth to the eighties, and a bare fish tank with overgrown gold fish. The whole place makes you think of linoleum, but it is clean, and the food is good and the ginger beef is very good. I love Friday.

The last two days of work have been great, and I am really excited about working with Ryan AND Tristan. Seriously, can you think of anybody better to work with? It is too bad we won’t get Jason Lyons now, but he’s a hoser anyway eh? There is more going on with lots of people working and it feels kind of exciting. I think it is getting harder for Peter because he has to keep up with all the mistakes that we make, everything happens so fast. Everything is also probably more fun because I am twice as good as I was at the beginning of the week.

Today our roof trusses showed up that we have been waiting for for two weeks. For those of you who don’t know what roof trusses are, they are these giant triangles of lumber where the bottom is longer then the whole house and then with a number of pieces filling in the triangle to brace it. So we have a pile of twelve of these joists, two of which are sheeted with OSB, which makes them about twice as heavy, and no crane, or zoom-boom in sight to help us get them up two stories to the roof of the house. But we needed to do the roof, and we needed to make room for our neighbor’s trusses that were coming, so the five of us figured we’d just hand-bomb them up. That’s what we do, us framers, we hand-bomb things. Even giant heavy joists up two stories to roofs without roofs so people are balancing at the same time as “hand-bombing” them up. It’s because we are so strong.

So the old man next to us said that we couldn’t get them up, and that someone was likely to get hurt, but it turns out that he was only half right. Peter almost got pushed off the side of the house, Ryan almost have 400 pounds of wood dropped on him like a piano on Wiley Coyote (you should have seen it, I was holding the bottom of the triangle, and Pete, thirty five odd feet away from me and 12 feet up was holding the other end with Ryan in the middle, underneath the OSB covered wall of wood when he slipped, the top end almost sliding of the side of the house and me hold my end up just enough so that when Ryan was squished his guts would probably spray out my side) and I almost strained my back. It was exciting. I am looking forward to more stories like that.

But seriously, one of our guys, Fraiser, is a behemoth of a man. He carries around walls I can barely wiggle, and readjusts the house with a swing of his hammer. I really don’t know how other crews are going to get their trusses up. We are talking about lending them Fraiser for $50 an hour, and really, he is probably worth more then that when he is working for us. Don’t worry, we are giving him a raise.

But even with all that, I am so glad it is the weekend. Finally fricken Friday if you know what I mean. I am so pumped.

Missed Events: I was in the entrance of an IGA, staring out the “EXIT” doors and waiting to be picked up, and as I am waiting a man outside begins to walk towards me. He is walking purposefully, as a large portion of the population seems to do, since they seem to have things they need to do, intending to enter the IGA. However, what I was immediately aware of was that he was trying to go in the out door.

I expected him to notice and to turn aside, but as the seconds past and he came closer and closer he still didn’t notice. You want to know if he will notice or if he will participate in a brilliant comedic act, but as he is getting too close, you are almost dissapointedly aware that you can save him and cross the censor to open the door. Closer and closer, and I’m sure he would have hit it, but I’ll never know, and I’ll never see because I stepped in and opened the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home