Monday, September 26, 2005

Friday, September 23

Another day. Right now I am in Three Hills, that is the name of the town, not just a description of geographical features, to watch two of my PIT girls, that is, girls who were in a personnel training program at camp this summer which I facilitated, play volley ball. Coming back to people you really care about is important.

Yesterday I saw a brief clip of the news where they reported that a new version of the Bible had been put together called “The 100 Minute Bible.” The purpose was so summarize the contents of the Bible into a manageable size. The Bible has been weighed, and calculated and its sum has been simplified. We have taken the unmanageable and managed it, as if God’s submission to our understanding was essential in his action. Does this Bible include Jeremiah something something? Let me offer it to you, and I ask you to read it with a careful eye so that you get all that this fantastic passage has to offer. That is, watch for the punch line.

The Israelites had been living in rebellion against God, but in a new fervor to serve Him, they renounced their sin and promised to free their slaves as God had commanded. This was a system set up in Jewish law that allowed slaves only to be kept for seven years before they were given up and set free.

However, after having obeyed God in this, and being true to their vow to follow Him, they changed their minds, once again turning to evil, and recaptured their slaves. And so the word of the Lord came to them through the prophet Jeremiah who said, “Since you have failed to declare freedom for your slaves as I commanded, I now declare freedom for you: freedom to die by the sword, plague and famine.”

So I don’t know if that passage made it in. I would hope that it does, but that isn’t really the point.

Post Script: I drove across the high level bridge today, speeding and singing passionately and I wondered about whether I was silly or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home